Monday 11 March 2013

The Wicked Girls by Alex Marwood
I finished this book several weeks ago but haven't blogged since.  It took me a long time to read but that doesn't really mean anything in this case.  Normally, if I take a long time to read a book it means that I'm not really enjoying it.  However, I really enjoyed this book.  I found it very dark (although, as mentioned previously, the constant mentions of the seaside did drive me crazy) and sinister - particularly the character of Martin.  I didn't see the twist coming, which was refreshing, and I would certainly recommend this book to those who enjoy suspense novels.  The writing style was very descriptive and I could almost imagine the waves crashing on the shore (damn seaside!).  I felt sorry for the two young lead characters and was willing (or pleading maybe) them to not do the things they were doing, which lead to the unfortunate event.  I did not feel the same sympathy for the adult versions which I think is due to clever writing.  All in all a very good book - not particularly fast paced but it draws you in nonetheless.  Throughout I had the feeling something bad was going to happen....


No comments:

Post a Comment